- 7/2013 – present: Professor (with tenure), UNC-Chapel Hill.
- 7/2009 – 6/2013: Associate Professor (with tenure), UNC-Chapel Hill.
- 7/2004 – 6/2009: Assistant Professor (tenure track), UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Ph.D. (2004) The Ohio State University
- M.S. (2001) The Ohio State University
- B.S. (1999) Nankai University
Selected Honors and Awards
- Elected Fellow – Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS), 2017
- Inaugural Leo Breiman Junior Award, Section on Statistical Learning and Data Science, ASA, 2017.
- Elected Member – The International Statistical Institute (ISI), 2014.
- Elected Fellow – The American Statistical Association (ASA), 2013.
- Ruth and Phillip Hettleman Prize for Artistic and Scholarly Achievement, UNC, 2010.
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation, 2008.
- UNC Junior Faculty Development Award, 2006.
- Ransom Marian Whitney Research Award, Statistics, The Ohio State University, 2004.
- Paper Competition Award Winner for the ASA’s Sections on Statistical Computing and Graphics, 2003.
- Statistical Machine Learning and Data Science
- High-dimensional Data Analysis
- Nonparametric Statistics and Functional Estimation
- Statistical Genetics and Genomics
- Neuroimaging Data Analysis
- Design and Analysis of Experiments
Selected Professional Services
- Conference Program Chair, Conference on Statistical Learning and Data Science, Chapel Hill, NC, June 2016.
- Chair-Elect, Chair, Section on Statistical Learning and Data Science of ASA, 2014-2015.
- Program Chair-Elect, Program Chair, Section on Statistical Learning and Data Science of ASA, 2012-2013.
- Associate Editor (2019 – present), Canadian Journal of Statistics.
- Guest Editor (2018 – 2019), A special issue for Mathematical Programming, Series B
- Associate Editor (2015 – present), Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
- Associate Editor (2013 – 2018), Journal of Royal Statistical Society, Series B.
- Associate Editor (2011 – 2014), Statistica Sinica.
- Guest Editor (2011 – 2012), A Special Issue for Statistical and Its Interface.
- Associate Editor (2008 – 2011), Journal of the American Statistical Association (Theory and Methods).